Re: Got tired of waiting for suspend/resume (something like that)

David Wright (2018-02-01):
> That assumes it's stable. The OP said it's not. I'm making no judgment
> on the matter.

The OP described the use of an ephemeral key to encrypt the swap. Are
you familiar with that practice? If not, better acknowledge it and let
the conversation pass by you.

> The contents will be wanted if it's being used for resume which is in
> the Subject line. (I didn't write it.)

You completely misunderstood the problem. The swap is waited by initrd
for resume, but that is not wanted by the user. It is a bug of newer
versions of initramfs-tools that try to set up resume automatically and
do not detect ephemeral keys.

> AIUI, again, correct me if I'm wrong, partition names and UUIDs are
> modern, non-baroque contraptions introduced with GPT.

Indeed. On the other hand, LVM also allows to make a partition-like
system with labels.

> Of course, the filesystem LABEL and UUID reside in the filesystem.
> That's why a mechanism exists to have a filesystem and swap space
> in the same partition. I'd be interested to know why the offset was
> introduced if not for such a purpose. Just interested, you understand.
> I have no axe to grind. Remember, I'm not the OP. I only know what the
> OP tells us.

These options have been introduced for some reason, they do not matter.
What matters is that a lot of people, when confronted with a problem,
will not take time and try to understand how it all fits together.
Instead, they will just take the first solution they think of, implement
it, find drawbacks, fix them the same way, entering an endless loop of
piling kludges over kludges. I know several people who function like
that.

The solution you quoted is a perfect example of that. Better learn to
recognize them rather than propagate them.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George