Re: Got tired of waiting for suspend/resume (something like that)

On Thu 01 Feb 2018 at 17:15:40 (+0100), Nicolas George wrote:
> David Wright (2018-02-01):
> > As far as finding the swap partition with fstab, ISTR a workaround.
> > Without the details, you make the swap partition with a tiny
> > filesystem in it, which gives it a stable UUID and LABEL. You then
> > specify an offset in every reference to its use, which skips over
> > the filesystem at its start.
>
> What are you trying to achieve with this baroque contraption?

I'm not trying to achieve anything. I'm not the OP. I prefaced
my reply with ISTR. IOW someone else invented this method and I
neither ask for credit nor disparage it.

> If a swap is encrypted normally, then just use its UUID.

That assumes it's stable. The OP said it's not. I'm making no judgment
on the matter.

> If a swap is encrypted with an ephemeral key, that means its contents is
> not wanted after a reboot, so there is no need to preserve the key,
> obviously. As to how to specify it in fstab, you need to use the name
> declared in crypttab.

The contents will be wanted if it's being used for resume which is in
the Subject line. (I didn't write it.)

> Using filesystem labels and UUID is IMHO a very bad design, because they
> reside inside the filesystem itself. Better use LVM, partition names or
> partition UUIDs.

AIUI, again, correct me if I'm wrong, partition names and UUIDs are
modern, non-baroque contraptions introduced with GPT.

Of course, the filesystem LABEL and UUID reside in the filesystem.
That's why a mechanism exists to have a filesystem and swap space
in the same partition. I'd be interested to know why the offset was
introduced if not for such a purpose. Just interested, you understand.
I have no axe to grind. Remember, I'm not the OP. I only know what the
OP tells us.

Cheers,
David.