Re: PDF displayed incorrectly by certain software

On Thu 25 Jan 2018 at 22:05:27 (+0100), Michael Lange wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 14:21:59 +0100
> Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă <I.M.Ciobica@upcmail.nl> wrote:
>
> > Downgraded some poppler packages and I can view now all pdf files
> > with xpdf. The difference between the old and new files now (for me)
> > is that they use (visible) different fonts.
>
> Just for the record, today's upgrade to stretch's poppler packages fixed
> this issue, qdfview and xpdf display the affected pdf-files properly
> again.

Not for me. I have the same/a similar issue with Chase credit card
statements. The blue graphical field separators and their text display
correctly, but the items area is blank.

However, if I scroll the pages, the items on the penultimate page
are displayed when I scroll up to it. The items on the first page
are always blank.

But the main difference between the old and new versions (upgraded
today) is that the new version spews error messages from the
configuration files, 152 of them in all.

Here are the first few. (The program stammers.)

Config Error: Unknown config file command 'unicodeMap' (/usr/share/xpdf/xpdfrc-arabic:2)
Config Error: Some work needs to be done to suppport this option in the Poppler version of xpdf
Config Error: Unknown config file command 'cidToUnicode' (/usr/share/xpdf/xpdfrc-chinese-simplified:2)
Config Error: Some work needs to be done to suppport this option in the Poppler version of xpdf
Config Error: Unknown config file command 'unicodeMap' (/usr/share/xpdf/xpdfrc-chinese-simplified:3)
Config Error: Some work needs to be done to suppport this option in the Poppler version of xpdf
Config Error: Unknown config file command 'unicodeMap' (/usr/share/xpdf/xpdfrc-chinese-simplified:4)
Config Error: Some work needs to be done to suppport this option in the Poppler version of xpdf
Config Error: Unknown config file command 'unicodeMap' (/usr/share/xpdf/xpdfrc-chinese-simplified:5)
Config Error: Some work needs to be done to suppport this option in the Poppler version of xpdf
Config Error: Unknown config file command 'cMapDir' (/usr/share/xpdf/xpdfrc-chinese-simplified:6)
Config Error: Some work needs to be done to suppport this option in the Poppler version of xpdf
Config Error: Unknown config file command 'toUnicodeDir' (/usr/share/xpdf/xpdfrc-chinese-simplified:7)
Config Error: Some work needs to be done to suppport this option in the Poppler version of xpdf
Config Error: Unknown config file command 'fontFileCC' (/usr/share/xpdf/xpdfrc-chinese-simplified:8)
Config Error: Some work needs to be done to suppport this option in the Poppler version of xpdf

This is a days-old installation of stretch 9.3 with ~/.xpdfrc hidden.
(Talking of which, they do seem to have fixed many of the interactive
commands (I use zoom, turn & continuous) that were missing throughout
jessie.)

Cheers,
David.