Re: Question on CVE-2017-5754 on Debian 8.9

On 25 January 2018 at 19:25, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
On Thu 25 Jan 2018 at 18:15:29 +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:

> Also is fakeroot installed by default or do I need to install it
> separately?

apt show fakeroot | grep -i priority

What do you think?

> Thanks for the hints here.

Where are we going? It seems a long time getting there. :)

​It's OK.  I ran apt show fakeroot | grep -i priority
 and got:

root@mikef-PC:/usr/src# apt show fakeroot | grep -i priority

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

root@mikef-PC:/usr/src#

Also I put the kernel file in /usr/src and then
ran the following:

tar -xaf linux-4.14.15.tar.xz

It seemed to run OK but I don't know where it put the unpacked files.

The creation dates show etc they are not in the /usr/src directory or in a new directory created in it.

Some docs say you shouldn't put the src files in the src directory - but others do.

Bit odd.

Comments appreciated.

Regards

MF