Re: Question on CVE-2017-5754 on Debian 8.9

On 25 January 2018 at 17:20, Michael Lange <klappnase@freenet.de> wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 15:59:04 +0000
Michael Fothergill <michael.fothergill@gmail.com> wrote:

> ​I have become sid and installed a ton of dependencies from the
> experimental respository and finally installed gcc 8.

Oh, from a quick glance it looked like half a dozen might suffice :-)

> After some rehab I will study the web page on compiling kernels in
> debian.
>
> I need to get the set up to use the GCC 8 compiler I have just
> installed.

I have done this a lot lately (needed a custom kernel for a new laptop).
Basically all I had to do was install make-kpkg + a number of other
related packages. Once all that was in place I just had to pick a source
tarball from kernel.org and unzip it, copy the latest config I had
in /boot to linux-<version>/.config , then run

# yes "" | make oldconfig

from within the source-directory and then start compiling with
something like

# fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-<whateveryoulike> kernel-image kernel-headers

The man page of make-kpkg gives hints about how to
force a gcc version in its description paragraph, never tried this
myself, though.

​I installed the kernel-package thing and then looked at the make-kpkg man entry.

I couldn't find the option talking about choosing the gcc version you mentioned - maybe the language was too coded for me.

Also​

​if I use this command:​

make ARCH=i386 defconfig

​should ARCH=amd64 or something be appropriate for me running my amd64 kaveri box here?​

​Also is fakeroot installed by default or do I need to install it separately?

​Thanks for the hints here.

MF

Good luck!!

Michael

Computers make excellent and efficient servants, but I have no wish to
serve under them.  Captain, a starship also runs on loyalty to one
man.  And nothing can replace it or him.
                -- Spock, "The Ultimate Computer", stardate 4729.4