Re: Question on CVE-2017-5754 on Debian 8.9

I have been looking at the web page here:

https://wiki.debian.org/BuildADebianKernelPackage

and noticed that the source file is supposed to be put in /usr/src it says.

It thinks the file would have a format like this:

linux-source-x.x.tar.bz2

The file
​ I downloaded from the kernel.org site looks like this:

linux-4.14.15.tar.xz

I think that is the same thing here (please correct me if I am wrong).

It is currently sitting in my Downloads directory.

I am going to move it to the /usr/src directory and then run the other commands.

Cheers

MF