Re: What is Synaptic trying to tell me?

On 01/18/2018 06:59 PM, David Wright wrote:
On Thu 18 Jan 2018 at 15:13:12 (-0600), Richard Owlett wrote:
I've been exploring the idea of downloading several packages.
When I select "apply" it routinely says "1 package will be held back
and not upgraded" in the lower half of a screen titled "Summary (as
superuser)".

In both the upper and lower half of that screen I can discover what
packages will be downloaded I can click appropriately and be
informed that a list of packages will be downloaded. They are always
what I wanted/expected. So far, so good ;/

Today I got curious.
In the lower half of the screen I clicked the button labeled "Show
Details". It listed *ONLY* the expected/intended files.

In the upper half of the screen I observed that clicking on the ">"
labeled "To be installed" I observed the same files as listed in
response to "Show Details".

*HOWEVER* when clicking on the ">" labeled "Unchanged" it listed
"linux-image-686-pae". Why? Less than 2 weeks ago I chose to install
the i386 flavor of current point release of Stretch. I was using
"Expert Install" and IIRC that was the default.

For years I've gotten the "1 package will be held back and not
upgraded" message. That response is obviously release independent.

This is the *FIRST* time I have attempted to investigate what is
being held back.

Please educate me ;/

Packages are normally held back when upgrading them would involve
removing a package or installing a new one, and that is forbidden
by the upgrade method you're using.

So, for example, apt-get dist-upgrade was recently needed to upgrade
linux-image against Meltdown because a new package was being
installed. (Substitute "apt-get dist-upgrade" accordingly.)

I don't understand the point you were trying convey saying
*(Substitute "apt-get dist-upgrade" accordingly.)* when having just said "for example, apt-get dist-upgrade was recently needed".

I've just done:
  apt-get update
  apt-get dist-upgrade
which I believe is what you intended.

BTW when installing a kernel image (and related packages), you should
select the least specific generic package (like linux-image-686-pae)
rather than the versioned one. Because the new kernel was a new
package (-4 → -5), it wouldn't be seen as an upgrade except as a
dependency of the generic package.

I habitually use "expert install" for historical (hysterical ;) reasons.
I've been in the habit of accepting the suggested kernel.
But I've yet to find a reference listing the kernels offered and their features. Part of my reasoning for using "expert install" almost from the first is that it makes me aware of what happens behind the scene.

Thank you.

Cheers,
David.