What is Synaptic trying to tell me?

I've been exploring the idea of downloading several packages.
When I select "apply" it routinely says "1 package will be held back and not upgraded" in the lower half of a screen titled "Summary (as superuser)".

In both the upper and lower half of that screen I can discover what packages will be downloaded I can click appropriately and be informed that a list of packages will be downloaded. They are always what I wanted/expected. So far, so good ;/

Today I got curious.
In the lower half of the screen I clicked the button labeled "Show Details". It listed *ONLY* the expected/intended files.

In the upper half of the screen I observed that clicking on the ">" labeled "To be installed" I observed the same files as listed in response to "Show Details".

*HOWEVER* when clicking on the ">" labeled "Unchanged" it listed "linux-image-686-pae". Why? Less than 2 weeks ago I chose to install the i386 flavor of current point release of Stretch. I was using "Expert Install" and IIRC that was the default.

For years I've gotten the "1 package will be held back and not upgraded" message. That response is obviously release independent. Previous installs have been from purchased DVD sets.

This is the *FIRST* time I have attempted to investigate what is being held back.

Please educate me ;/

TIA