Re: Banishing UUIDs from grub

On 1/18/18, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 18 January 2018 16:04:26 Don Armstrong wrote:

>> > I have had the UUID change on this system, on my
>> > amandatapes drive at almost every install or upgrade.
>>
>> Which UUID changed? The filesystem UUID shouldn't change unless you
>> reformat the partition, and the partition UUID shouldn't change unless
>> you repartition it (or you specifically change the UUID).
>>
> In this case, I installed a fresh firmware image on the drive, didn't
> lose a byte, but the UUID was changed, discovered when amanda couldn't
> find its virtual tapes drive after the reboot. I checked the fstab, then
> ran blkid, and it had changed. So I applied a label to the partition,
> edited fstab, and its been 69,600 or so spinning hours since. I've
> updated the system from ubuntu hardy to debian wheezy, no change.

I've had it happen, too. Feels like recently, but was probably a
couple years ago, if not more like 3. I could never figure out how it
happened.

>From one reboot to the next, the value or values changed, but I had
not *knowingly* done anything that should have changed it. By
"knowingly", I mean via gparted which is the only place I've ever
changed those manually. I've probably only done *that* maybe twice in
five or six years, probably just to have done it to know how it would
affect things.

/etc/fstab was my go-to to see where things didn't match. Had a copy
floating around just to remind myself whenever I stumbled back over it
occasionally. I never thought to check grub.cfg before getting
everything to match back up properly at the time.

It hasn't happened since, and I've messed all kinds of other things up
in the meantime... like killing my sound (again) about 2 days ago
while trying to roll my own of something that I've already forgotten
what it was. I think it was something about "that" dialup modem. :D

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *