Re: Banishing UUIDs from grub

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 18 January 2018 16:04:26 Don Armstrong wrote:
> > Which UUID changed? The filesystem UUID shouldn't change unless you
> > reformat the partition, and the partition UUID shouldn't change
> > unless you repartition it (or you specifically change the UUID).
> >
> In this case, I installed a fresh firmware image on the drive, didn't
> lose a byte, but the UUID was changed, discovered when amanda couldn't
> find its virtual tapes drive after the reboot. I checked the fstab,
> then ran blkid, and it had changed.

I'm still not clear which UUID was changed. Even if you change the
firmware image,[1] the filesystem UUID should not change, because that
would require changing the filesystem.

[Pretty much anything which changes the partition UUID can also change
the partition label, though perhaps whatever did the update doesn't
change the label.]

But in any event, LABEL works just as well.

--
Don Armstrong                      https://www.donarmstrong.com

Identical parts aren't.
 -- Beach's Law