Re: scriptable way to list packages that are not installed

On 17/01/18 11:38 AM, Darac Marjal wrote:

On 17/01/18 02:17, Charlie Gibbs wrote:

On 16/01/18 12:15 PM, davidson@freevolt.org wrote:

Is there a natural law or something, that every email message sent
must contain at least one distracting error that is totally beside the
point?

Anyways, over and out.

"Over" means "My transmission is finished; I expect a reply."
"Out" means "My transmission is finished; I do not expect a reply."

One more distracting error... :-)

Surely it depends on your context. If you're communicating over a radio,
then sure, they mean what you mean. But perhaps it's a quotation
(wiktionary states that "over and out" is mostly used in TV and films).

The reason it's mostly used in TV and films is that the writers don't know any better. Or they're pandering to viewers don't know any better. But it is not, and has never been, proper procedure for anyone who uses a radio in real life.

And don't call me Shirley.

Perhaps it's a reference to cricket (as in "The over is complete, AND
the batsman is out").

An interesting back-formation...

What a delightfully distracting error this is turning into!

--
cgibbs@surfnaked.ca (Charlie Gibbs)