scriptable way to list packages that are not installed

I would like to list not installed packages in my script. Currently I do

    dpkg-query -W -f='${db:Status-Abbrev}${binary:Package}\n'
$PACKAGES | grep -v "^ii" | awk '{print $2}'

Problem is that dpkg-query outputs information about no matching
packages in stderr in a not suitable for scripts way, for example

    dpkg-query -W -f='${db:Status-Abbrev}${binary:Package}\n' git gawk cmake
    un cmake
    ii git
    dpkg-query: no packages found matching gawk

I there any scriptable way to get information about unmatching packages?

Thanks in advance,
Vasyl