Re: Problem using "dpkg -i"

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 06:50:09 -0600
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

(...)
> *HOWEVER* your post leads to solving a more important problem.
> It has been suggested several times "to build from source". I couldn't
> find instructions suitable to my lack of background. The closest I've
> come was working in 8080 assembler ~40 years ago ;} Your reference and
> the educational material at https://www.mercurial-scm.org/ should
> resolve that problem.

The most common way to build applications from source on linux systems
uses a "configure" script; the way to build such an app is usually quite
straightforward.
First thing I usually do is to cd into the source directory and call

$ .configure --help

which will print out a number of available options how the build can be
configured. Next thing is to actually run the configure script with

$ .configure <options>
followed by
$ make
and
$ make install
That's it (if all went well)!

One problem that may cause confusion in that procedure is when .configure
stops with an error message saying something like "libfoo not found"
although libfoo is installed. In such a case the solution is to install
the missing header files, usually in a package as "libfoo-dev".
By default programs compiled like this will install into /usr/local; if
it is desired to neatly separate that app from the system this
can be overridden with configure's --prefix option, as in
$ .configure --prefix=/opt/appname

Some apps of course (as apparently that blue griffon) use a different
approach, so reading the build instructions first is certainly always a
good idea :-)

Regards

Michael

Change is the essential process of all existence.
		-- Spock, "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield", stardate
5730.2