Re: Problem using "dpkg -i"

On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 20:36:59 +0100
deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Richard Owlett wrote:
>
> > I repeated
> > dpkg -i /home/richard/Downloads/amaya_11.4.7-1_i386.deb
> > followed by
> > apt-get -f install
> > with the same result ;
>

> If this app depends on ssl 0.98, it might have been working on jessy or
> wheezy - it is very likely that it will have some other missing
> features.
>
> better would be to install the system it was working on in chroot and
> provide those dependencies, or better get a newer working version of the
> application with correct dependencies.

There is apparently no newer version available. And installing a new
system for one single app sounds like considerable effort.

Oddly, so far as I have followed this thread, no one seems to consider the
possibility to try and compile the application from the sources. I
wonder if the debian developers should quit shipping the build system
when nobody wants to use it anyway ;-)

Best regards

Michael

It [being a Vulcan] means to adopt a philosophy, a way of life which is
logical and beneficial.  We cannot disregard that philosophy merely for
personal gain, no matter how important that gain might be.
		-- Spock, "Journey to Babel", stardate 3842.4