Re: Secure email server setup

On 01/15/18 22:30, Henning Follmann wrote:
>>> so can she/he if the mailserver is on a different host. That doesn't make
>>> any difference.
>> It would, because other mailservers would deny emails from that one
>> because it would fail authentication (SPF, DKIM, DMARC for example).
>>
> Your webserver having a method to use a smarthost, using an external
> mailserver can be abused when compromised. So no win here. Still exploited
> once the attacker is on the system. It will just use the same smarthost
> with the webservers credentials and the mailserver will happily relay the
> spam.
>
> -H
If configured properly - the hacker can't change how the server do the
transport, except if the hacker
has gained the privileges to do so. But that is not that common if a
LAMP server for example if properly
configured.
But if a hacker has found an exploit where he can change the transport
settings for the MTA.

I am talking about the default mail() function that is used by many
websites. But you are talking about a server
where a hacker has gained root privileges - in that case there is not
much to do.