Re: Secure email server setup

On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 01:58:08PM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 01:51:30PM -0500, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> > Does the SMTP server encrypt both between it and the "client" and between it
> > and the other end destination / source?
>
> No, not always.  Plaintext SMTP is the default for transferring mail
> from one server to another.  Basically, you should just assume that
> anything you send in an email is readable by the entire world, unless
> you encrypt the actual message itself (PGP, GnuPG, etc.).

But these days most use encryption S2S and most clients do too.
I log on my server if they use TLS or not and all the big ones definitely
do. However between each hop the mail is unencrypted. If it sits at gmail
for example google can read the mail. There are a few exception worth
mentioning: for example protonmail. If I understand this correctly they
use your public key (pgp) and any unencrypted mail will be encrypted before
stored.

-H

--
Henning Follmann           | hfollmann@itcfollmann.com