Re: HiDPI migration: desktop environment issue

On 12/27/2017 05:43 PM, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:
On 25/12/17 01:44, Anders Andersson wrote:
If you can pull yourself from a Windows 95-era start menu and
always-visible panels, try the natural and more modern and updated
successor: Gnome 3. Really.

I found this "modern and updated" interface to have poor usability. It felt to me like an attempt to push the Android UI, optimised for tiny touch screens, on to the desktop.

I like always-visible panels on my desktop, including a pager, and Gnome 2 and XFCE give them to me, in multiple highly-configurable instances, with plugins. I found that Gnome 3 configuration was quite limited and required me to hack JavaScript at the system level. It has been a while since I tried a pure Gnome 3 and it might have improved.

I saw a Windows 10 machine a few days ago and it had an always-visible panel with something that seemed to work just like the like the start menu. Are Windows 10 desktops configured to have this by default? It might be that Microsoft are returning to the successful desktop interface design of previous generations. Perhaps Gnome 4 will as well?

I've never found the claims of Xfce being lightweight to hold up under
scrutiny. It's often more sluggish than Gnome 3 on the clients I've
compared.

Does Gnome 3 work over VNC yet? I had such problems with Unity, but XFCE just worked.

Kind regards,

Well, I'm using KDE5 ("plasma") and I like it, but Windows 10 comes stock with a really gross interface--great big boxes on the screen for just a few apps. You can abolish that junk with a free app that makes the screen look and act like the Win 7 desktop, or one or two other earlier Windows versions. It's called Classic Shell, and I heard that it has been taken over by some open source group, but I have no further info. There's probably another similar app someplace. Fortunately, the Windows upgrade does not delete it, as I was afraid it might. (I very seldom use Windows,
but I did upgrade to the latest slop just a few days ago.)

--doug