Re: How to create a PDF-Printer from the command line

On Tue 09 Jan 2018 at 23:20:55 (+0100), tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 09, 2018 at 02:09:22PM -0600, David Wright wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > For me, this is a new take on document conversion methods.
> >
> > FWIW my test file produced 30819 "Missing character" errors which
> > is hardly surprising as TeX was released 40 years ago in the days
> > of 7 bit ASCII. The PDF had a single line of characters running
> > off the right hand side of the page.
>
> Modern (La)TeX implementations should be able to cope with UTF-8
> input: \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc} is one of the recommended magic
> incantations (that said, reportedly Lua(La)TeX and Xe(La)TeX are
> said to cope even better; they are part of your TeX live distribution
> anyway).
>
> Of course you have to make sure that your font supports the glyphs
> you actually use.

Thanks. I feel ashamed that I'm wasting your time, and that of
Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă. I'm only testing the methods being suggested
here for conversion. It's proved valuable (for me) as I hadn't come
across txt2pdf before, which is already wrapped up in my .bashrc,
but one does see poor suggestions as well as good ones.

I've been a LaTeX user for over 30 years, so I've stripped out more
Unicode workarounds than I care to mention over the years. Remember
this sort of stuff?

\catcode`Æ=13 \defÆ{\AE}% handle Æ
\catcode`æ=13 \defæ{\ae}% handle æ
\catcode`ß=13 \defß{\ss}% handle ß
\catcode`è=13 \defè{\`e}% handle è
\catcode`Î=13 \defÎ{\^I}% handle Î
\catcode`Œ=13 \defŒ{\OE}% handle Œ
\catcode`œ=13 \defœ{\oe}% handle œ
\catcode`Ř=13 \defŘ{\v R}% handle Ř
\catcode`ř=13 \defř{\v r}% handle ř

I do remember \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}, but even that has been
superceded by \RequirePackage{fontspec} (yes, I moved on from
using .sty files to .cls files about 5 years ago).

Apologies again.

Cheers,
David.