Re: How to create a PDF-Printer from the command line

On Tue 09 Jan 2018 at 19:41:35 (+0000), Curt wrote:

> >> Like the other, more knowledgeable guy said.
> >
> > There are quite a few in this thread. Clue us in?
>
> The person who responded directly to David's question quoted above,
> whose name, exotic in the regions from which I hail, escapes my
> remembrance.
>
> >> pdftex will actually create a pdf out of a text file without complaint
> >> if you put '\end' on a newline at the end of the text file (I wouldn't
> >> recommend such a bare-bones approach, though, in my extremely limited
> >> experience, for formatting reasons). Or you can just type '\end' in the
> >> little interactive mode that comes up in the terminal when errors or
> >> omissions are encountered.
> >
> > My pdftex complained madly about this and eventually threw the towel
> > in.
>
> I can't account for it. If I feed pdftex a latex file, it whines for
> every latex command it encounters, but if I press enter on each
> encountered command error in the interactive console (if that is indeed
> the term for it) it eventually exits completely (maybe it wants me to
> '\end') , producing a pdf file (the text of which comprises both the
> unknown latex commands as plain old text as well as the text as, well,
> pdf-style text, if you catch my drift).

For me, this is a new take on document conversion methods.

FWIW my test file produced 30819 "Missing character" errors which
is hardly surprising as TeX was released 40 years ago in the days
of 7 bit ASCII. The PDF had a single line of characters running
off the right hand side of the page.

Cheers,
David.