Re: Finding material with F1 or in "The Gnumeric Manual"

On 01/08/2018 01:21 PM, David Wright wrote:
On Mon 08 Jan 2018 at 10:58:35 (-0600), Richard Owlett wrote:
On 01/07/2018 11:34 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
I'm new to gnumeric and have not used any spreadsheet since mid 70's.
I'm running Debian 9.1 with MATE desktop and gnumeric 1.12.32 .

I'm having a different problem now. But I see an common element -
not efficiently using available documentation.

I have a large rectangular region. I wish, on a per column basis, to
calculate the average of the values in that column. I found how to
get the average of a range in a particular column. But I don't see
how to simply do the same for a region.

Copy (^C) the cell with the average in it.
Paste (^V) it into the cells alongside this cell,
ie the ones where you want said averages to appear.

I eventually got there by using the R1C1 notation.
That is copying AVERAGE(R1C:R23C) was more intuitively more proper than copying AVERAGE(A1:A23).

As this is about the second thing you learn about spreadsheet
behaviour (after summing and averaging, a column), it sounds
as if you need to find a simple guide to spreadsheet operations.

That may be the solution. From 40 years ago I remember *WHAT* spreadsheets can do rather than *HOW* to do it.

Thank you.

P.S. any way to force default notation to be R1C1?