Re: systemd errors

On 2018-01-06 16:13 +0000, Michael Grant wrote:

> I'm seeing the following errors in my daemon.log:

They are warnings, not errors.  And systemd 236 only shows one of them.

> Jan  5 05:05:30 debian systemd[1]: File
> /lib/systemd/system/systemd-journald.service:35 configures an IP
> firewall (IPAddressDeny=any), but the local system does not support
> BPF/cgroup based firewalling.
> Jan  5 05:05:30 debian systemd[1]: Proceeding WITHOUT firewalling in effect!
> [ Many similar warnings skipped. ]

> Jan  5 05:05:31 debian systemd[1]: Reexecuting.
> Jan  5 05:05:31 debian systemd[1]: systemd 236 running in system mode.

So it seems that you upgraded to systemd 236 this morning, correct?

> Jan  5 05:05:31 debian systemd[1]: File
> /lib/systemd/system/systemd-journald.service:35 configures an IP
> firewall (IPAddressDeny=any), but the local system does not support
> BPF/cgroup based firewalling.
> Jan  5 05:05:31 debian systemd[1]: Proceeding WITHOUT firewalling in
> effect! (This warning is only shown for the first loaded unit using IP
> firewalling.)

This should be the last warning of this kind in the log until you
reboot.

> I'm running debian-testing, and I'm running a Linode kernel.
>
> Some searches say to enable CONFIG_BPF_SYSCALL in the kernel config,
> however, I running a Linode kernel, 4.14.12.  I really do not want to
> get into compiling my own kernel.  Is there some easier way to fix
> this?

You could also compile systemd and patch the warning out, but I think it
is easiest to just ignore it.  As I said, it should only appear once per
boot in the future.

See https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/7188 for more information.

Cheers,
       Sven