Re: show searched packages including versions

bw composed on 2018-01-03 18:20 (UTC-0500):

> On Wed, 3 Jan 2018, Felix Miata wrote:

>> What command shows me the newest available linux-image version available
>> anywhere that's been configured in sources.list?

> Here's a quick try at answering your question.  I'm sure there are a
> zillion ways to get the output arranged to your liking.  but really this
> is what man pages are for.  Give it a try they don't bite.

>  apt-cache pkgnames linux-image

Thank you! Arrangement was a red herring.

> linux-image-4.9.0-4-rt-amd64
> linux-image-4.9.0-3-amd64

apt-cache provides all I really was looking for. More, as in the openSUSE repo
or installation status ouput in OP, would simply be gravy. It's obvious from the
thread responses received so far that I did a poor job describing what I want by
using the zypper output that I did.

Worse, I should have searched efoX-eSr, to make it clear one shouldn't need to
know a package's complete and exact basename including case. This, at least on
glance, rules out Michael Stone's apt-cache madison suggestion.

The problem is discovery. Apt isn't Apt, it's apt this, apt-that, apt-foo,
apt-bar, apt-baz, etc., even simply apt! What's the name of the doc that teaches
which apt variant has the power to please? How does anyone discover the logic
reaching a desired conclusion when the information desired (here: version) in
the one of the (multiple apt) dictionaries called man pages isn't even in it?
>From (Buster's) apt-cache:

	pkgnames
	This command prints the name of each package APT knows. The optional
	argument is a prefix match to filter the name list. The output is
	suitable for use in a shell tab complete function and the output is
	generated extremely quickly. This command is best used with the
	--generate option.

How did *you* figure out to try apt-cache _pkgnames_ to get a search to include
packages' versions?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/