Re: show searched packages including versions

bw composed on 2018-01-03 15:50 (UTC-0500):

> On Wed, 3 Jan 2018, Felix Miata wrote:

>> I've had no luck finding a way to search in Debian that lists versions along
>> with names. In openSUSE, this is somewhat simple to discover, as zypper includes
>> everything in one man page rather than having various names to learn along with
>> separate (or not) man pages, such as apt-cache, apt-get, apt-mark, apt-file,
>> apt-key, aptitude and dpkg. Generally my searches are seeking whether newer
>> version is yet available. ATM, the goal is finding whether mc-4.8.17 or older
>> can readily be replaced by the current version, mc-4.8.20. Output I would like
>> in a form similar to what follows (from openSUSE):

>> # zypper se -sx firefox-esr

>> S  | Name        | Type       | Version      | Arch   | Repository
>> ---+-------------+------------+--------------+--------+--------------
>> vl | firefox-esr | package    | 52.5.3-1.1   | i586   | Mozilla131
>> vl | firefox-esr | package    | 45.8.0-1.3   | i586   | MozillaLegacy
>> vl | firefox-esr | package    | 38.8.0-1.22  | i586   | MozillaLegacy
>> vl | firefox-esr | package    | 31.8.0-1.30  | i586   | MozillaLegacy
>> vl | firefox-esr | package    | 17.0.11-1.49 | i586   | MozillaLegacy
>> vl | firefox-esr | package    | 52.5.3-1.1   | i586   | Mozilla

>> Even better would show packages sorted first by version and skipping arch.

>> Can any similar output be provided in Debian? If yes, is there a config option
>> to make it default?

> I don't expect any newer version of mc to be available on stretch, ever.
> You can see the current stable with apt show mc.  If I wanted to see
> versions of it in all releases, including backports, testing and
> unstable, I would go to https://packages.debian.org/mc this works for all
> packages.  I would never use another version with stable, except
> stable-backports.
  mc was bad example. Currently booted is Jessie. Installed kernels are 3.16 and
4.8. What command shows me the newest available linux-image version available
anywhere that's been configured in sources.list?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/