Re: Is there a way to know the ISP with the default installation of Stretch?

On Tue, Jan 02, 2018 at 12:42:35PM +0100, Max Power wrote:
My problem is to know the ISP [e.g. GATEWAY = Vodafone, Telecom or AT&T]
before starting browsing or any remote connection...
With the 'route' command it was so easy '# route' and goal!
With le last release 'Stretch' the net-tools packet is not installed by default.
But if this command was so useful, why It was removed?
I repeat, I need to know the ISP before to establish any connection!!
[I need this because some Italian provider, and are so many, do not allow
some services that machines provided... e.g.: VoIP, so I need to know the ISP
before so to avoid initializing the machine.]
How Can I do with the default installation?

There isn't an easy way to do that, and there wasn't before. If resolving a non-routable IP happened to work for you previously that was just luck, not something to rely on. The most reliable method would be to use something like https://www.whatismyip.com/ that tells you the public IP you are using to make a connection.

Mike Stone