Re: unison compatibility in stretch

On Wednesday, 13 Dec 2017 at 12:49, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

[...]

> The server is running Jessie, the repository does not contain 2.48.
> There appears to be no backport.
> The client is running Stretch. Its repository does not contain anything
> other than 2.48.
>
>>From what I can see froom googling, there is an incompatibility in one
> of the underlying libraries (ocaml?), which prevents Unison 2.48 being
> built for Jessie, or Unison 2.40 being built for Stretch.
>
> There doesn't appear to be an alternative for both jessie and stretch.
> What a mess!

Can you install from testing (buster) on these systems?  I.e. download
the .deb file from the net and install using dpkg directly.  There is
only a dependency on libc6 (>= 2.17); maybe that's satisfied on those
systems?  Maybe not, of course...

The ocaml aspect hit me recently in that unison v2.48.3 and v2.48.4 are
incompatible with each other.  A real mess.  Finally managed to get all
my systems running v2.48.4...

unison is a fantastic tool but these incompatibilities make it
incredibly frustrating to use every now and again.

You could consider the following options:

1. build unison yourself on each system from source.
2. try other tools such as syncthing.

Hope you get this sorted!

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, org 9.1.4