unison compatibility in stretch

Hi,

For years I've been using unison to keep common files amongst my various
systems.

I now find that stretch provides version 2.48, whereas Jessie provided
2.40, and they are not compatible. My server, which still runs Jessie,
will therefore not accept connections from my desktop box.

In the passt, I've always worked round this by installing the lower
version on my desktop and adjusted the links. This appears no lnger to
be possible.

Does anyone know how to get round this? (I've no immediate intention to
upgrade the server).