Re: Embarrassing security bug in systemd

On Sun 10 Dec 2017 at 22:17:12 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 10 December 2017 19:02:49 David Wright wrote:

> > > While I do have spinning rust drives of a terrabyte on both of those
> > > credit card sized machines, functioning as swaps and work areas,
> > > they are still booting and running from a 32GB sd chip disk.
> >
> > …whereas the two laptops I mainly type into have respectively 60 and
> > 80 GB disks of rust. Both have two root filesystems with different
> > versions of Debian. The smaller drive's PC needs a swap partition to
> > function, the other needs one for hibernation. Not a lot of space
> > left for /home. Installing shedloads of docs for each person's PITA
> > would contravene Debian's sensible policies.
> >
> This I'd guess is important, if you have several users. I don't, except
> for amanda and nut, and thats only on this machine. All the rest have
> one user, me, known under various aliases

That's not what I meant.

You find polkit a PITA, so you want Debian to install the docs
automatically when you install the package.

Someone else finds ntp a PITA, so they lobby Debian for ntp's docs.

"What about rsyslog?" says somebody else. "That should have the
same treatment; it's a PITA."

Debian's answer: if you want the docs for foo, then install foo-doc,
but don't force them onto others by making them a dependency of foo.

>                                           because the idiot installer is
> now set to give the first user the machines name like pi or rock64. I
> spent a month trying to fix user 1000 to be me instead of pi on the pi.

Have you tried setting the hostname to "gene" whenever you install
onto a new machine, and then changing *its* name to pi or rock64
afterwards. That might be easier.

Cheers,
David.