Re: Embarrassing security bug in systemd

On Sunday 10 December 2017 14:12:09 David Wright wrote:

> On Sun 10 Dec 2017 at 10:42:53 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:
> > For something that can be such a pita, not installing the docs
> > doesn't seem like my error, they should have been part of the
> > install. IMO.
>
> That's ridiculous. I don't want all the docs on all the installations.
> I only install docs on the machines that either I'm going to read it
> on or one with a big disk.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

While I do have spinning rust drives of a terrabyte on both of those
credit card sized machines, functioning as swaps and work areas, they
are still booting and running from a 32GB sd chip disk. Which means any
docs installed still are installed on the root filesystem, and on that
32GB sd drive. But those are also the problem children. df says one is
25% used, the other is 31% used. It was suggested by apt that I install
devhelp, which I did on the rock64, but failed on the pi because I have
pinned the realtime kernel on it, needed to run linuxcnc.

I hope to eventually install an rtai patched kernel on the rock64 so I
can make a few passes at building the pi's spi driver, which is part of
linuxcnc and which 5 to 500 times faster than the kernel's own spi
driver. I can write 4 byte packets on the severely i/o crippled pi whose
spi doesn't have to go thru the builtin usb hub to get to the spi, over
a 1" cable, at 41 megabaud, and read the responses from the i/o card at
25 megabaud.

Putting a rock64 on that elderly Sheldon lathe, to replace the pi with
its penchant for dropping keyboard and mouse events on the floor, will
be one heck of an improvement.

Try that on the linux spi.ko driver and record the speeds obtained on a
digital scope. Very enlightening. :)

If I fill it up and crash, well, theres even 128GB sd memories available,
at a price of course. :)

Thank you David.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)