Re: Embarrassing security bug in systemd

On Sunday 10 December 2017 23:50:13 David Wright wrote:

> On Sun 10 Dec 2017 at 22:17:12 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > …whereas the two laptops I mainly type into have respectively 60
> > > and 80 GB disks of rust. Both have two root filesystems with
> > > different versions of Debian. The smaller drive's PC needs a swap
> > > partition to function, the other needs one for hibernation. Not a
> > > lot of space left for /home. Installing shedloads of docs for each
> > > person's PITA would contravene Debian's sensible policies.
> >
> > This I'd guess is important, if you have several users. I don't,
> > except for amanda and nut, and thats only on this machine. All the
> > rest have one user, me, known under various aliases
>
> That's not what I meant.
>
> You find polkit a PITA, so you want Debian to install the docs
> automatically when you install the package.
>
> Someone else finds ntp a PITA, so they lobby Debian for ntp's docs.
>
> "What about rsyslog?" says somebody else. "That should have the
> same treatment; it's a PITA."
>
> Debian's answer: if you want the docs for foo, then install foo-doc,
> but don't force them onto others by making them a dependency of foo.
>
> >                                           because the idiot
> > installer is now set to give the first user the machines name like
> > pi or rock64. I spent a month trying to fix user 1000 to be me
> > instead of pi on the pi.
>
> Have you tried setting the hostname to "gene" whenever you install
> onto a new machine, and then changing *its* name to pi or rock64
> afterwards. That might be easier.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

Thats a great idea David, except the installs on an armhf or arm64 are
the complete image, and the install is a dd session with the sdcard in a
card reader. So its rather effectively carved in pretty hard granite. :(

I don't even know if there is an install iso for an arm64 from debian.
Neither of these seem to come with enough of a bios to actually boot and
install, not from a usb key, and certainly not from an optical drive.
No trace of a grub anyplace once its been done either.

There are instructions for making the pi's boot from rust, but its a one
way as its said to be an otp rom in charge of that, however when I try
to set that bit, its write protected even for root. In all 3 of the pi's
I bought.  And there is even less info around on how the rock64 boots.

Frustrating...

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)