Re: [OT] Relavant mailing list or USENET group

I wrote:
> It has an antenna.  A sharp knife or some conductive tape or adhesive
> and Bob's your uncle.

Stefan writes:
Hmm... I thought the antenna on those devices nowadays are physically
just traces printed on a PCB.

They are.

> They're not necessarily very easy to find AFAIK...

They're pretty obvious (at least to me as an engineer).  Someone who
cared a lot about this issue and had access to lots of phones could put
up a site with photos and drawings.

> and conductive tape probably wouldn't help since the traces are
> coated...

The resist coating is very thin so the tape would be very close to the
foil.  Capacitive coupling at those frequencies would effectively short
all the parts of the antenna together (and all parts of the traces are
not coated with solder resist).  Remember the Apple phones that quit if
you held them wrong?

> tho since it's very high-frequency signals, cutting a trace might be
> like adding an inline capacitance which might not really stop the
> signal

It would stop it.

Better to find the rf chip and cut a power supply pin, though.
--
John Hasler
jhasler@newsguy.com