Re: [OT] Relavant mailing list or USENET group

On Sun, Dec 03, 2017 at 06:57:30AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 12/02/2017 01:52 PM, John Hasler wrote:
> >David Wright writes:
> >>what would be the principal use of this device, who would it be aimed
> >>at, and what would be the size of its market?
> >
> >I'd buy one were it cheap enough (it wouldn't be).
> >

> I don't see why its price structure be more than a laptop or "smartphone".
> It should be less than a "smartphone" offering similar compute capability.
>
> The per unit manufacturing costs should be lower - fewer parts, fewer
> assembly steps.
> There would be less ongoing engineering costs - e.g. when 3G/4G becomes
> obsolete.
> Product lifetime should be longer.

It seems to me that you're looking for a tablet with optional keyboard
attachment.

If you want "off the shelf", the closest that immediately comes to mind
is something like a Microsoft Surface or similar.

For the amount of "DIY" involved, a Raspberry Pi - the Model 3B comes
with built in wifi - with touchscreen (available in several sizes) and
wireless keyboard and mouse would seem to fit the bill. It will of course
be bulkier, but I can't think of anything else appropriate.

Cheers,
Tom

--
He's dead, Jim.