Re: Saving Sent Messages with Thunderbird

On 12/28/17, Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:

> Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> I accidentally stumbled upon being able to use ALT+F to bring up the
>> toolbar without toggling it into (semi-)permanent view. I think I
>> meant to hit CTRL+F to "find" something once upon a time and clicked
>> the ALT key instead.
>>
>> ALT+F seems to work for a couple different packages that also default
>> to the toolbar being toggled out of view. With the ALT+F trick now in
>> hand, I leave all mine toggled off. It's less distracting for my
>> brain. :)
>
> I believe <ALT>+<First Letter> works for most any menubar
>
>  - (F)ile
>  - (V)iew
>  - (E)dit
>  - (H)elp
>  - etc...
>
> If the window / program has one of those upper-left menus (with the
> program icon) for window-managent (Move, resize, etc), <ALT>+<SPACE>
> usually opens that one.
>
> Though it's been a long time, so I could be mistaken -- I believe if you
> press and hold (or sometimes hold for a few seconds then release) it'll
> highlight or underline the relevant character to open that menu (might
> even give you a selection 'cursor' so you can use the arrow keys to
> navigate).

It does do those things, bring up the various existing topics. It's a
nice feature that various packages *very nicely* carry fairly
universally. I did once encounter something where that didn't work,
but that was a rare occasion long ago.

What I should have additionally said the first time 'round is that
ALT+F brings the toolbar *out of hiding* without having to track down
how to unhide the toolbar first.

On a quick test just now, Opera didn't acknowledge ALT+E and ALT+V
because Opera's current menu is not set up that way. It does seem
reasonable to a-sume that packages with "View", "Edit", "Tool", etc,
MIGHT  be toggle-able out of hiding using ALT with their corresponding
letters, but I don't have anything I can think of to test drive the
theory on just this second. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with 1960s tin New Year's Eve noisemaker in hand *