Re: Saving Sent Messages with Thunderbird

On 2017-12-22 at 13:59, Joe wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 13:02:48 -0500 Dan Norton
> <dnorton@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/22/2017 06:34 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:

>>> mozilla.support.thunderbird is an active support list
>>>
>> That list refers to a different version of Thunderbird - one that
>> has a "Tools > Account Settings" menu. Debian 8 has access to
>> Thunderbird 52.5.0 (64-bit) which has no such menu.
>
> You should have said that was the problem: it's under Edit, not
> Tools, and so is Preferences, which replaces Tools, Options.
>
> I don't go back far enough with either Debian or Thunderbird to know
> why...

Unless I'm much mistaken, it's a Windows/Linux difference.

For obscure and probably-mostly-historical reasons, Linux versions of
Thunderbird and Firefox use "Preferences" under "Edit" as the way to
open the program's main configuration window, and Windows ones use
"Options" under "Tools".

"Account Settings" apparently follows the other menu option.

I vaguely seem to recall that once upon a time the Windows version of
the program(s) - possibly back in the days before Firefox, when the
unified suite was all there was - used "Preferences" under "Edit" as
well, and that they changed at some point for some reason.

--
   The Wanderer