Re: Saving Sent Messages with Thunderbird

On 12/28/17, The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On 2017-12-28 at 09:37, Dan Norton wrote:

>>> Eh? In the main Thunderbird or Firefox window - with the folder
>>> list, message list, and (in my preferred layout) selected message -
>>> I most certainly do see an Edit menu; it's right next to the File
>>> menu.
>>
>> No File or Edit menu in the main window here.

>>> No complicated gymnastics are required; it's simply Edit ->
>>> Preferences. (I don't even know what gymnastics you're proposing.)
>>
>> I installed Thunderbird on a netinst of Debian 8 and 9 using
>> synaptic. Same result for both: no File or Edit menu.
>>
>> What version of Thunderbird are you using? How did you install it?
>
> (I replied to your off-list response before seeing this one. Sorry.)
>
> I'd forgotten that apparently Thunderbird now ships with the menu bar
> disabled by default, for the same (IMO wrongheaded) reasons as Firefox
> does.
>
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/display-thunderbird-menus-and-toolbar
> explains how to turn it back on; it's been so long since I did so that
> I'd forgotten that having it off was even an option, especially since I
> don't understand (on any but an intellectual level) why anyone would
> want to have it off.

I accidentally stumbled upon being able to use ALT+F to bring up the
toolbar without toggling it into (semi-)permanent view. I think I
meant to hit CTRL+F to "find" something once upon a time and clicked
the ALT key instead.

ALT+F seems to work for a couple different packages that also default
to the toolbar being toggled out of view. With the ALT+F trick now in
hand, I leave all mine toggled off. It's less distracting for my
brain. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey