Re: Debian 8 and Debian 9 Dual Boot

Le 24/12/2017 à 05:36, Felix Miata a écrit :
Dan Norton composed on 2017-12-23 19:15 (UTC-0500):

The menu inside the box is:
Debian GNU/Linux
Advanced options for Debian GNU/Linux
Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) (on /dev/mapper/vol1-root)
Advanced options for Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) (on /dev/mapper/vol1-root)
Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid (on /dev/mapper/vol3-root)
Advanced options for Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid (on /dev/mapper/vol3-root)

The first two boot stretch, so they will eventually have "9 (stretch)
(on /dev/mapper/vol2-root)" appended, once the timeout is under control.

Based on what I see and what you say, it seems you are modifying the timeout for
Stretch (/etc/default/grub on vol2), but actually booting Stretch from Jessie's
grub.cfg (/etc/default/grub on vol1), which remains configured to 3 seconds.

Based on what I see and what Dan wrote, I'd rather say the other way around : Dan edited /etc/default/grub in Jessie (update-grub showed the system kernel was Jessie's 3.16 and found stretch/9.3 as a foreign system) but the GRUB loading at boot time is the one from stretch (the first entries boot stretch). So the time-out must be changed from stretch.

You can check the result of /etc/default/grub parameters in /boot/grub/grub.cfg after running update-grub. You can also check GRUB variables at boot time in GRUB's shell (press "c" to spawn the shell) with the command "set". It will also display value of the "prefix" variable which contains the device and path to the used /boot/grub directory.