Re: port scans (OT?)

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 9:04 PM, Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi

> Run your own port scan and shut down any insecure service that gets found.

Tried that and the firewall caught me and threw me out :-)

So I tried again, slower to stay out of the firewall's window, and the
only peculiar thing that showed up was rpcbind -- I have no idea what
idiot put that there. But that one's blocked at the server by
iptables' default drop.

I'm assuming Postfix, Dovecot, Proftp, Apache2, and openSSH are
smarter than the script kiddies.

So I'm feeling a lot better. From what you all say, port scans are to
be expected, and I can calm down some and do the standard Internet
things that keep the blackHats out.

> Have no password-only SSH accounts but rather demand public-key
> authoriziation.

Already did that, and iptables and SSHd allow only me and my IP in anyway.

> Have a nice day :)

Much better, and thank all of you for your help and advice...

--
Glenn English