Re: Debian networking - accessing public-side servers from a private network

Le 23/12/2017 à 00:46, Phil Reynolds a écrit :
On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 10:59:24 +0100
Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:

How does it know the router address if there is no route ?
Maybe the output of the following command is more complete :

ip -4 route show table all

http://paste.debian.net/1002048/

The output is not so big. You could have put it directly in your post.
"route" did not show the default route with the router address because it is in a custom routing table (1013), not in the main routing table. I have no idea why, but it does not matter much. I guess there must be some advanced routing rules using that custom table (ip rule will show).

However I see not route for the public subnet. So the first time the host sends a packet to the public server address, it must send it to the router. The router forwards it to the server and also sends back an ICMP "redirect" message to the host to inform it that the address is actually directly reachable. So the host may send subsequent packets directly to the server - or not, still sending them to the router.

So I guess you could have used source NAT on the router to work around the issue.