Re: Debian networking - accessing public-side servers from a private network

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 07:23:06 +0100
Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:

> How are TCP/IP parameters configured on the client ?
> Could you show its routing table ?

Output of "route" on it:

Destination 192.168.0.0 Gateway * Genmask 255.255.255.0 Flags U Metric
0 Ref 0 Use 0 Iface wlan0

Output of "route -A inet6" is much longer - see
http://paste.debian.net/1001796 - note that this is "as is", I haven't
concealed anything.

> >> All the IPv4 and IPv6 nameservers used by the client must resolve
> >> the name into the private address. If they also serve the public
> >> zone, you must set up "split DNS" to server different versions for
> >> private and public clients.
> >
> > Unfortunately I have found no way to override the radvd-provided DNS
> > server addresses - otherwise I would have done this.
> Aren't you in control of the router configuration and which IPv6 DNS
> servers are advertised in the RAs it sends (radvd ?), and of these
> servers behaviour ?

I am in control but it's a case of "can it be done and if so how?".

> Just another thought : isn't it possible to set up Asterisk to listen
> explicitly on both the private and public IPv4 addresses instead of
> any local address, so that it opens two separate sockets ? This way I
> think it would reply with the proper source address.

Not tried that yet but I will, a bit later.

--
Phil Reynolds
mail: phil-debian@tinsleyviaduct.com