Re: Sony Memory Stick problem on Debian 9 stable

> On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 01:01:13PM +0330, Farhad Mohammadi Majd wrote:
>>Hello, I want to buy a old Sony compact digital camera which supports
>>only Memory Stick, a removable flash memory card format, before buy it,
>>I get its memory card to check is it supported under Linux or not.
>>
>>I inserted it into memory card reader and it is detected by system:

> 2 Terabytes in an old digital camera? Either you're planning on taking a
> LOT of pictures our your Memory Stick is not actually recognised by the
> system.
>
> First off, check that your card reader HARDWARE supports the MS. Have
> you read the Wikipedia page on Memory Sticks? There are almost as many
> variants as Secure Digital has.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_Stick
>
> Secondly, have you checked for physical switches on the Memory Stick?
> There might be a read-only switch; there might even be a bank-select
> switch.

Man, I was sitting here thinking *2 TERABYTES*?! Am I reading that
output wrong?! I'd LOVE for an older camera to take more than 1 or 2
GIGABYTES, let alone 2TB! :))

K/t abject poverty, I play around A LOT with older digital cameras
rather than cutting edge. One alternate trick that *sometimes* works
is that many (dare I say at least most?) of them use cables to
communicate with computers.

*SOMETIMES*, although not always 100% of the time, the communication
that goes on via that cable is what will get what you need even when
memory card readers don't register any given class/type of memory
stick that digital cameras might use.

As I write that, it occurs to me that some of that higher success
gained by going that route is because your "card reader" is then the
same instrument that wrote data to that card in the first place. Of
all the technology available right now, theoretically one would think
that the #1 go-to thing that should *always* be able to read that
card's data is that same instrument that put that data on that card.
One would think.... :)

But that's something one wouldn't know for sure until the camera is
physically in hand, unfortunately. A couple of us here on Debian-User
had problems going that cable route to transfer images around. Those
issues seem to have settled out, though, over the last year or so.

One hard lesson I learned on the fly was that everything on a camera
can *look* fabulous can put out all the cool digital readings you
want, can preview nice, sharp pics through the viewfinder or on the
LCD screen, etc......

BUT the internal memory card reader/writer and possibly attached
dedicated processor board inside the camera can be shot, fried,
useless. In that kind of case, it can cost as much in service fees and
parts to replace as it would for a newer, much more capable camera.

Nikon D1H is my experience there.. Total brick, but it sure is pretty
to look at and make pretends with. Everyone was sleeping the day I was
able to afford that one.. :)

In the case of a fried internal memory card slot, there would...
obviously... be a bit of card reading issues in that case, too. That
was (mostly) the intended point of bringing that part up.

You can find yourself running into a brick wall for hours trying
everything you can think of for why your memory stick keeps throwing
basic errors, e.g. card not present or card not formatted. Meanwhile
the problem could ultimately be traced to a broken dedicated processor
board or similar for that memory card slot. Nothin' is going to read
nothin' for nothin' in Debian until that gets fixed first. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with #photog envy *