Re: got a new one

On Wednesday 20 December 2017 17:56:46 Brian wrote:

> On Wed 20 Dec 2017 at 17:06:35 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > I've seen this said before. but I've never understood what
> > > "printing in landscape mode" means. Does "printing in landscape"
> > > convey the same idea?
> >
> > Either one implies a 90 degree rotation of the page on the paper, so
> > that loooong lines don't either get clipped off at the right margin,
> > or often as not line wrapped by the printer which means on a
> > multipage document, the pdf interpretors page count doesn't get
> > totally scrambled & starts putting the headers and footers in the
> > middle of the page. Doesn't always help though, some of the hal
> > files I've hacked up over the years have effectively been north of
> > 220 chars/line. There are ways to fix that, but they are relatively
> > new in linuxcnc's init functions.  Those older files usually get
> > fixed if I have to revisit them, because the hardware changed or
> > something.
>
> What determines the choice of pages which suffer a 90 degree rotation?

Not individual pages unless you want to jump thru some pretty small
hoops. You can select it for the whole, individual print job, in the
printer requester that pops up when you select print from some
application. I varies as to what tab its under but will usually be a 4
choice. 2 of them will be labeled Portrait and Landscape, the other 2
are further rotations at 180 and 270 degrees. The better versions of
that requester will also let you specify odd only or even only, or a
page range in case you only want a 10 page piece of a 750 pager.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)