Re: LUKS password gets printed as stars

I don't know why but this email didn't get delivered to my mailbox
even after I'm being in "To" field. I couldn't even find this email in
spam. Thankfully, I decided to check debian-users archives and found
this mail there!

As I have copy pasted mail by hand please excuse the poor formatting.

> On 12/18/17, tomas@tuxteam.de <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 06:41:00PM +0530, root kea wrote:

>> is a screenshot https://imgur.com/bC4AF6H

> My crystal ball says you're using systemd. It seems that it has a
> special "unit" to mount encrypted file systems [1], which may call
> into one of several password agents [2]. If this hunch is correct,
> you may start with [2], find out which agent you are talking to
> and perhaps reconfigure it in the way you like.

OMG! You are absolutely right! I went through the links you provided
and ended up on systemd-ask-password [0]. As its manpage says, I tried
pressing TAB and voila! echo is turned off! Here is the screenshot
with echo off [1]

BTW, pressing backspace as a very first char worked too (as mentioned
in the same manpage).

Now I just need to find out from where this `systemd-ask-password` is
executed and then edit it's command by omitting the `--echo` flag
thereby turning off the echo by default. (A sane default!)

Though I'm searching for the `systemd-ask-password` command location;
any further help would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

[0] https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-ask-password.html
[1] https://imgur.com/u4nw6Lb
--