Re: LUKS password gets printed as stars

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 12:42:57AM +0530, root kea wrote:
> I don't know why but this email didn't get delivered to my mailbox
> even after I'm being in "To" field. I couldn't even find this email in
> spam. Thankfully, I decided to check debian-users archives and found
> this mail there!

Strange. OK, my mail server hasn't yet SPF or DKIM, which might raise
the mail's spam score, but just silently dropping the mail seems
pretty uncivilised (but hey, it's Google, so...)

Perhaps now that you mailed me, gmail is a bit friendlier.

> As I have copy pasted mail by hand please excuse the poor formatting.

No problem, formatting is fine.

> > On 12/18/17, tomas@tuxteam.de <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

[...]

> > My crystal ball says you're using systemd [...]

> OMG! You are absolutely right! I went through the links you provided
> and ended up on systemd-ask-password [0]. As its manpage says, I tried
> pressing TAB and voila! echo is turned off! Here is the screenshot
> with echo off [1]

Glad we found it :-)

> BTW, pressing backspace as a very first char worked too (as mentioned
> in the same manpage).
>
> Now I just need to find out from where this `systemd-ask-password` is
> executed and then edit it's command by omitting the `--echo` flag
> thereby turning off the echo by default. (A sane default!)
>
> Though I'm searching for the `systemd-ask-password` command location;
> any further help would be really appreciated!

Install apt-file: very recommended. It lets you search for Debian
packages containing a file (by file name, even when the package
isn't installed):

 | tomas@trotzki:~$ apt-file search systemd-ask-password
 | manpages-de: /usr/share/man/de/man8/systemd-ask-password-console.service.8.gz
 | manpages-zh: /usr/share/man/zh_CN/man1/systemd-ask-password.1.gz
 | manpages-zh: /usr/share/man/zh_TW/man1/systemd-ask-password.1.gz
 | plymouth: /lib/systemd/system/systemd-ask-password-plymouth.path
 | plymouth: /lib/systemd/system/systemd-ask-password-plymouth.service
 | systemd: /bin/systemd-ask-password
 | systemd: /lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/systemd-ask-password-wall.path
 | systemd: /lib/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants/systemd-ask-password-console.path
 | systemd: /lib/systemd/system/systemd-ask-password-console.path
 | systemd: /lib/systemd/system/systemd-ask-password-console.service
 | systemd: /lib/systemd/system/systemd-ask-password-wall.path
 | systemd: /lib/systemd/system/systemd-ask-password-wall.service
 | systemd: /usr/share/man/man1/systemd-ask-password.1.gz
 | systemd: /usr/share/man/man8/systemd-ask-password-console.path.8.gz
 | systemd: /usr/share/man/man8/systemd-ask-password-console.service.8.gz
 | systemd: /usr/share/man/man8/systemd-ask-password-wall.path.8.gz
 | systemd: /usr/share/man/man8/systemd-ask-password-wall.service.8.gz

so now we know systemd-ask-password lives in /bin and comes with package
systemd. But I guess you are looking for its config file, perhaps something
in the whereabouts of /lib/systemd/system/systemd-ask-password-console.service.

Note that the usual way of customizing that is not by changing the
service file in /lib/systemd/... but to put a new service file somewhere
in /etc (/etc/systemd?) overriding it. My wisdom there is pretty
sparse, perhaps some systemd buff can chime in here.

Cheers
- -- tomás