Re: OT: Troubleshooting an IP device on a LAN from another LAN--would a VPN work?

On Friday, December 08, 2017 11:01:52 AM Mark Fletcher wrote:
> I think you have two options — a paid service like LogMeIn or OpenVPN.
>
> LogMeIn is the easier option if a solution is considered worth money. Your
> friend would install LogMeIn on their Windows computer and you’d need a
> Windows, iOS or Android device on your end (I don’t think LogMeIn have a
> Linux client but check as I could be wrong). You’d remote control their
> Windows machine from your end and use it to ssh or whatever to the Obi.
>
> If solutions must be free then I’d suggest to get the same effect with
> OpenVPN. This will take quite a bit more setup; the OpenVPN instructions
> are good but there are more steps, so if you want to go that way let us
> know and I’ll describe in more detail how I would do it.

Thanks for the reply!

I'll look into LogMein later today or tomorrow (I have to run some errands and
such now)--it may actually be Sunday or Monday before I can spend much time on
it again.

I appreciate the offer, if I decide to try OpenVPN I'll get back to you.

regards,
Randy Kramer