Re: need a video function in wheezy

On Friday 17 November 2017 07:13:40 Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 09:21:33PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I have a machine vision utility for use on a CNC machine, that uses
> > gladevcp.
> >
> > But the launching script, in xml, is looking for a specific lib:
> >
> >  <requires lib="gtk+" version="2.24"/>
> >
> > which if it ever did exist in wheezy, was since removed.
> >
> > This script is of course editable, so are the functions that were in
> > this lib, now available in a different package? If so, likely
> > suspects please?
>
> Hi Gene,
>
> I suspect that your tool was built with the naming conventions used by
> Red Hat in mind.  You probably need to change lib="gtk+" to
> lib="gtk+2.0".  Here is the link to the source package in wheezy:
>
> https://packages.debian.org/source/wheezy/gtk+2.0
>
> Another possible candidate would be lib="libgtk2.0-0" for the name of
> the actual binary package.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Roberto

AFAIK, but I'll say I'm on the fringes of the developers world,
RedHat/Fedora has never been a target to make linuxcnc run on. We've
pretty consistently chosen a distro stable enough that it was usable for
at least the duration of a LTS release, and that a decade ago was
ubuntu, but its gotten so liquid that the switch was made to debian 32
bit as a development system at about the 7.1 point of wheezy.  And it
still favors the 32 bit versions because the 64 bit versions, with their
much larger context switch stacks taking more time than is comfortable
to tolerate in the everyday world of the shop floor. Even servo-based
machinery, normally operated with an every 1 millisecond control loop,
can get fussy when a context switch is 3 milliseconds. I have one
machine, sort of an experiment, running Jessie on a raspi, that has
quite a bit of its control structure running at a 100HZ rate for the
manual input stuff, and that works great. But I may be the only one on
this ball of rock and water doing it.

And that is not the machine I am trying to make this work on, this one is
far more conventional, one of several older Dell's in my collection of
machines.

4 people seem to be the heart of this particular machine vision accessory
package for LinuxCNC, but I've no email addies for any of them. But I'll
keep looking, maybe I can get lucky yet.

Thank you Roberto.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)