Re: [SOLVED] Re: Cannot connect to WiFi

On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 16:56:39 -0600, David Wright wrote:

> On Thu 16 Nov 2017 at 20:11:18 (+0000), Juan R. de Silva wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 19:48:00 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
>>
>> > Hi folks,
>> >
>> > My ISP replaced my old modem with the new one. I changed my WiFi
>> > Authentication key and the name of the WiFi network. Then I made
>> > Network Manager to "forget" my old WiFi. Network Manager finds my new
>> > WiFi but I cannot connect to it.
>> >
>> > When "Authentication Key is required" dialog pops up and the key is
>> > entered,j Connect button remains grayed out/disabled. Thus there is
>> > no way to get through but pressing Cancel button.
>> >
>> > I'm running Debian Stretch.
>> >
>> > Could somebody help. It's quite urgent now.
>>

>> The problem is solved. It was Bob Weber post that led me to solution,
>> though the problem was a kind of different.
>>
>> Here what I mean. Just by looking at my password, as entered into NM, I
>> did not find any weird characters or trailing spaces in it. A typo was
>> exclued since I copy-pasted it from my password manager storage. I was
>> in loss and just for no reason, when in GNOME "Authentication required"
>> dialog pressed Backspace once... All at a sudden I get through and
>> connected!..
>>
>> Then I copied the password I uncessfully tried to use in Network
>> Manager and pasted it bellow a password copied from my modem/router (or
>> as David rightfully called it "gateway" device).
>>
>> That was it. The original password was 64 characters and the one in my
>> modem was only 63 characters. Aparantly the modem has a limitation on
>> the password length,
>
> The protocol sets the limits, not the router.

I agree. But I've meant quite a different thing.

Whoever or whatever sets the limit, if the user makes a mistake and
enters into appropriate router field oversized password, it is a
responsibility of a good programmer to let the user know that the
password is going to be truncated.

A user has a right to make a mistake, not have enough knowledge, even to
be dumb at the end. A good GUI programmer is expected to oversee such
things.

Silently truncating an entry IS a silly programming technic.