Re: New Motherboard installation question

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 04:57:28PM +0000, J.W. Foster wrote:
>    Any tips are welcome, and no I have not researched this online.

I would say that if you want specific suggestions, posting the actual
error messages is a good start.

>    I'm just seeking info from folks that have done this before.

I have a server now that runs Stretch (HP microserver) that began life
in 2002 running Debian 3.0 (Woody).  The original machine was a Pentium
Pro 200 MHz with maybe 16 MB RAM.  It went from that box into a new
small form factor case with a mini-ATX (or was it micro-ATX?)
motherboard and a VIA C7 CPU.  That motherboard eventually failed and
was replaced, then the power supply later failed and that was when I
acquired the HP, which necessitated switching from 32-bit to 64-bit.

My main workstation is in a similar situation.  It started life in 2003
with an AMD Athlon XP CPU on a BioStar motherboard.  That machine went
through 4 motherboards from different manufacturers until a few years
ago I went to another Biostar motherboard with an Intel Core i5 CPU.

In every case, the main things which ended up being factors in the
migration were:

- kernel modules (my configuration either unconditionally loaded
  incompatible modules or blacklisted modules I needed)
- device naming assumptions that were not constant (e.g., references to
  things under /dev/disk/by-uuid)
- Left-over semi-persistent state files (e.g., in /var)

It is difficult to be more specific without the specific error messages
you are seeing.

Regards,

-Roberto

--