Re: Debian Live USB fails; bricks the USB stick

Kent West composed on 2017-11-07 10:58 (UTC-0600):

> I wanted to create a Live Debian USB stick (using an existing Debian
> found it on /dev/sdc, and ran the command:
>
> sudo [dd] if=debian-live-9.2.0-amd64-cinnamon.iso of=/dev/sdc

> I walked away then and came back in a few minutes

How few?

> to find it had finished,

How did you make that determination? IME, writing an iso to a USB stick can take
an obscene length of time, finishing *long* after the command prompt returns if
you have a lot of RAM to read the iso into before the stick can be written to.
Was the stick's activity LED off before you tried accessing it or rebooting?

> but didn't pay attention to any other messages, and then tried booting it
> on another year-old Dell PC. It gave me the grub menu, but then when I
> tried to boot Debian Live, I got an error about an invalid magic number and
> a need to load a kernel first.

Maybe the bad magic number resulted from writing less than the whole iso file to
the stick?....

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/