Re: MC (was: Rsync)

Weaver composed on 2017-11-05 17:55 (UTC-0800):

> David Wright wrote:

>>> Not so sure about locate, but I'd include MC, with internal edit, some
>>> time before I'd include, say, Nano.

>> IMO you have to have an editor suitable for root to configure the
>> system. Vi is fine for those who know it, but it has to be learnt.
>> Almost anyone who can read can use nano with no knowledge whatsoever.

>> As for MC, it's in the population of programs that I would never run
>> as root, along with X, Emacs, …Office, browsers, media players (does
>> that cover it?). Root does not need Swiss Army knives slashing about.

> Well, I don't know if I'd describe MC as `a Swiss Army Knife'. Thunar
> and nautilus, maybe.
> I also find aptitude handy at that level (before I've installed a DE,
> because I can see what I have installed and get every package
> description, installed or uninstalled, right there in the NCurses
> interface. Wordgrinder's another I'd fit in that category, for those who
> don't want a GUI and LibreOffice Writer.

> I certainly wouldn't fit MC into the category of a multi-Megabyte
> browser or media programme requiring a heavy GUI interface.
> With all due respect, that's a bit over the top.

Not having MC is a handicap I won't long tolerate. In any unfamiliar
environment, it's the first thing I look for. On a fresh Debian minimal
installation I make, apt install mc is usually the first or second entry to go
into root's .bash_history.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/