Re: Rsync

On Sun, Nov 05, 2017 at 07:50:56PM +0100, deloptes wrote:
> Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
>
> > I can see how someone going for a minimal
> > system would consider it bloat.
>
> +1
>
> used 2 times rsync in past 10y private and professional daily use of linux
> (desktop and server)

Whereas I have rsnapshot deployed at multiple sites backing up dozens of
machines.  I also use it to manually sync file between my network home
directory and my laptop with a home-spun script that started of as
probably the very first script I wrote of any meaningful size or
complexity.  (That was before there were good, or maybe any, solutions
for automatically syncing files across multiple devices).

Of course, it is really easy to add packages to a system that has
adequate space, where installing an over-bloated base/standard system to
a low resource machine is more complex.  Despite the enormous utility I
find in it, leaving rsync out of the base system is the right thing.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez