Re: Rsync

On 2017-11-06 11:16, David Wright wrote:
> On Sun 05 Nov 2017 at 12:18:50 (-0800), Weaver wrote:

>> >       ^
>> >       not
>>
>> Not so sure about locate, but I'd include MC, with internal edit, some
>> time before I'd include, say, Nano.
>
> IMO you have to have an editor suitable for root to configure the
> system. Vi is fine for those who know it, but it has to be learnt.
> Almost anyone who can read can use nano with no knowledge whatsoever.
>
> As for MC, it's in the population of programs that I would never run
> as root, along with X, Emacs, …Office, browsers, media players (does
> that cover it?). Root does not need Swiss Army knives slashing about.

Well, I don't know if I'd describe MC as `a Swiss Army Knife'. Thunar
and nautilus, maybe.
I also find aptitude handy at that level (before I've installed a DE,
because I can see what I have installed and get every package
description, installed or uninstalled, right there in the NCurses
interface. Wordgrinder's another I'd fit in that category, for those who
don't want a GUI and LibreOffice Writer.

I certainly wouldn't fit MC into the category of a multi-Megabyte
browser or media programme requiring a heavy GUI interface.
With all due respect, that's a bit over the top.

--
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its
government."

Registered Linux User: 554515